Monday, December 30, 2013
























Living in the city, I often find myself craving nature. It's moments like these that lead me on long urban walks and leave me picnicking in Edinburgh Gardens. I just need that fresh air, that sunlight, those trees, and the rain. The grey gets to be too grey and I venture out to find some green.

The other day I was feeling restless, having been cooped up in Christmas celebrations. I called my friend Aleesia and together we embarked on an afternoon adventure, exploring Ballina Shire and it's many natural wonders.

Despite having lived here for almost 8 years, I had never been to Killen Falls, a favourite local's spot for splashing about and acting like a mermaid. The falls themselves were quite underwhelming, what with the unusually good (and dry) weather of 2013, but that didn't stop me from having a great time swimming. The car park was full, as was the waterhole, but the scene was still more serene than any beach or pool- a lovely alternative really.

After drying off and enjoying the view (British backpackers...), Aleesia and I hit the road again, belting Carole King at the top of our lungs. We didn't have a destination, but Eltham was where we ended up. It is this bizarre little town, the kind with just a pub and a handful of houses. I felt like I was walking through another time or at least another country, perhaps the middle of the USA where devout Christians and mothers-of-8 run rampant. The Freemason church, all white weatherboard, reminded me of Big Fish, as did the 116 year old railway. 

Actually, it was all fairly Stand By Me, especially when we decided to cross the rusty bridge that stood over a raging (well, flowing) river. Aleesia did some sort of slow motion crab action in fear of falling, while I and my long legs took the run-and-it-will-be-over approach. On the other side we were greeted by a group of cattle, a gorgeous sunset, and a winding walk on the tracks.

To finish off our day of nature lovin', we settled into the sand dunes of our local beach. It's the perfect place to people watch and drink red wine, both of which we did. The sun went down as we wandered home, a cheese platter and the One Direction movie awaiting us.

It was a Perfect Day, capitals essential.


No comments:

Post a Comment